|Position Title: Substance Use Counselor
Division: Healthy Partnerships
Department: Outpatient Treatment & DUI Program
Reports to: Program Director/Shift Supervisor
Classification: Regular, Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Salary Range: DOE + Full benefits package
Since its founding in 1997, Healthy Partnerships has provided high-quality behavioral health care in an atmosphere of compassion, respect, and cultural competence in Solano County. Outpatient prevention, intervention, and treatment services offered at Healthy Partnerships reflect a deep and abiding belief in the value of treatment, and a strong commitment to promoting recovery on an individual, family, and community level. Healthy Partnerships began operating as a division of Caminar in May of 2018. Position Description:
The Substance Use Counselor is responsible for providing supervision and assistance for clients of outpatient treatment. Essential Duties & Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Supervise clients to assure that they are safe and complying with program rules.
- Provide group and one-to-one counseling/problem solving.
- Maintain and carry a client caseload, 80% of time committed to direct services.
- Conduct initial client screenings.
- Maintain current knowledge of client issues and progress, especially for those clients on his or her caseload.
- Communicate with supervisor regarding client progress and issues.
- Provide input on the development of needs and services plan.
- Act as role model for clients.
- Provide other coverage when needed.
- Communicate closely with supervisor/senior counselor.
- Comply with established Healthy Partnership/Caminar procedures.
- Perform other related duties as assigned including drug testing for clients and coverage for DUI Programs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Any combination of training and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities as listed below is qualifying.
- Education: High School Diploma or GED is required.
- Certification: Shall provide documentation of counselor certification or show proof of registration with an approved certifying agency. Master’s Degree in applicable area of study does not require counselor certification or registration for counselor certification.
- Experience Required:
- Minimum of 1 year related employment or equivalent college coursework for a total combination of 2 years. As described in Title 9 of DUI Regulation “one year of experience” means 1,776 total hours of full or part time, compensated or uncompensated, work experience.
- If recovering from chemical dependency, 36 months of continued abstinence is required. Employee shall meet current state counselor certification requirements.
- Customer service: manages difficult customer situations, responds promptly to customer needs, solicits customer feedback to improve service, and meets commitments.
- Interpersonal skills: focuses on engagement, conflict resolution and de-escalation, and demonstrates professionalism. Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control.
- Computer skills: Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment including email and Internet navigation required. Experience with Human Service Information Systems strongly preferred. Experience with web based time and attendance and staff training and development system helpful.
- Knowledge of:
- Procedures and techniques of substance abuse treatment.
- Principals, methods and techniques of individual and group counseling.
- Current treatment approaches.
- Ability to:
- Set appropriate professional boundaries.
- Work as a team member.
- Establish and maintain cooperative workplace relationships.
- Interact courteously and tactfully with clients and the public.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Maintain client and staff confidentiality.
- Must be passionate about Caminar's mission.
Caminar is a leader in providing innovative client-oriented mental health services. We are an equal opportunity employer. Please visit our web site at www.caminar.org
- Must be able to meet and receive a criminal records clearance, as required by Title XXII, other licensing regulations, and Caminar practices.
- This position may require occasional driving. A valid California driver license and an MVR sufficient to obtain and reasonably maintain insurability under agency auto liability policies are essential job requirements. Personal auto insurance and reliable personal vehicle may be required and in all cases are strongly preferred. Must maintain a good driving record.
- Must be able to pass post offer, pre-employment medical and drug tests as required under State Community Care Licensing regulations and/or agency policies.
- Must obtain and maintain First Aid and CPR certification.