Required Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Training, and Licensure):
- High School diploma, Associate or B.S. degree in related field preferred.
- Certified, or registered Drug and Alcohol Counselor with the ability to become certified, or equivalent certification with a State of California qualified agency.
- Two plus years’ experience counseling addicts; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
- Knowledge and training in substance abuse and related health issues (i.e. HIV, Hepatitis C, etc.) and recovery protocols including the 12 step programs.
- Knowledge of the local treatment community and referrals; if in recovery, two years sobriety preferred.
- Good written and verbal communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Computer (PC) literate in general office functions such as word processing, email and database software. Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Valid California Driver’s License, with insurable driving record.
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint background screening through the D.O.J. for clearance into R.C.C.C. and all criminal justice facilities served in the County.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide in-custody services at Rio Cosumnes Correctional Center that include: case management, substance abuse treatment, Thinking for a Change (cognitive behavioral change program), gang intervention, job readiness, employment services, job coaching, life skills (including financial barriers and training), mentorship, recreational activities, family reunification services, and transition plans.
- Participation in a multidisciplinary team approach. Evidence-based methodology and outcome measures that will be used to evaluate the program and a discussion of how such measurements will provide valid measures of the impact of the program.
- Meet with Sheriff’s Department staff as required to ensure services continue to be provided in the most effective and efficient manner possible. Provide consultation and technical assistance regarding changes or enhancements to program delivery to ensure efficacy.
- Meet with offenders to determine eligibility into program both individually and during a family reunification group designed to provide family/community linkages and reduce criminal thinking. Linkages- Continue to work with community service providers to identify
the array of services that will assist the offender and family to meet Discharge Plans.
- Ensure that all incarcerated veterans are informed of the services provided by the Sacramento Veterans Resource Center (SVRC) and included in Discharge Planning as appropriate.
- Work with the Sheriff Department personnel to assure inmates wishing to enroll in reentry services have the means and knowledge to do so.
- Work with the Sheriff Department to ensure WellSpace Health staff meets all criteria, rules, and regulations set forth within the jail setting.
- On occasion, transporting inmates to a community resource upon release from custody of RCCC.
- Other duties as assigned.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The employee’s work environment includes both an office and a correctional housing setting. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The office setting is not characteristic of normal office conditions; while working in the correctional housing setting, the employee may be exposed to hazardous materials (including communicable diseases) and odors. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus. The employee must also possess hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the phone. The noise level in the work environment is usually periodically quiet to moderately loud.
The employee may be in contact with individuals and families in crisis who may be ill, using substances and/or not attentive to personal health and safety for themselves. The employee may experience a number of unpleasant sensory demands associated with the client’s history of using alcohol and drugs, and the lack of personal care. The employee must be ready to respond quickly and effectively to many types of situations, including crisis situations and potentially hostile situations.
WellSpace Health is one of Sacramento's premier non-profit organizations proudly serving the homeless and underserved community of Sacramento for over 60 years. We offer professional services including: high quality primary health care; family planning; women's health including OB; immunizations; well child care and testing; diagnosis and treatment; addiction treatment; mental health counseling and pediatric dentistry.
We are a leader in integrated care, blending physical health services with our well-known addiction and mental health treatment. We also offer a range of medical products through community partnerships including our T3 Program (Triage, Transport and Treat) that reduces Emergency Room overcrowding and our Interim Care Program (ICP) that reduces medical relapse following hospital discharge. In 2010 we have opened the first pediatric dentist clinic in the Sacramento area for our community.