STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
Facilitates all clinical modalities within Adult and Adolescent Dual-Diagnosis Services. Responsible for integrating substance abuse, psychiatric disorders and psychoeducational modalities appropriately within the context of the Adult and Adolescent Clinical Program. Participates in treatment planning to identify appropriate goals and interventions specific to the patient’s dual diagnosis problems. Completes appropriate group notes and charting, as required.
Frequent walking, standing, bending and reaching. Lifting up to 25 pounds. Pulling and pushing up to 50 pounds. Corrected vision and hearing to a normal range. Finger dexterity. Frequent exposure to stressful situation. Constant public and patient contact.
Constant exposure to noise. Occasional exposure to chemicals and general cleaning agents. Rare exposure to bloodborne pathogens. Shift hours may vary dependent upon the department needs to include weekends and holidays.
MAJOR TASKS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(All duties listed below are essential to the job.)
General Staff Accountabilities
- Employee’s conduct conforms to the Mission, Vision, Values, and Code of Conduct of College Hospital Costa Mesa.
- Values individual differences and demonstrates sensitivity to the cultural needs of others.
- Respects the rights, privacy and property of others, and maintains strict confidentiality.
- Effectively protects all health information from unauthorized access per HIPAA regulations and all applicable local and state laws.
- Maintains required certification/license in a timely fashion.
- Exhibits good attendance and punctuality.
- Provides appropriate notice prior to vacation/time off, and notifies supervisor a minimum of two hours prior to shift when unable to come to work.
- Observes allotted break and meal periods as prescribed by Hospital Policy and follows time card procedures by accurately writing in and out.
- Attends to personal affairs to avoid any interference with productivity.
- Adheres to the Dress Code.
- Follows the occurrence reporting policy and procedure in reporting any potential safety issues.
- Demonstrates an understanding of personal role in the case of a fire/disaster, and participates in Performance Improvement activities.
- Functions with an awareness of patient safety issues and applies basic principles of safety as identified within the facility.
Job Specific Duties
- Effectively incorporates knowledge of developmental norms in design and implementation of the substance abuse modalities and materials used in group psycho educational sessions.
- Effectively demonstrates knowledge and understanding of dual-diagnosis issues in treatment planning.
- Effectively demonstrates ability to conduct a thorough substance abuse evaluation, per physician order, which addresses: history of use of alcohol or other drugs: age of onset, duration, patterns, & consequences; history of physical abuse associated with dependence; use of alcohol or drugs by family members; spiritual orientation of patient; types of and response to previous treatment; history of physical abuse; sexual history, including orientation and history of abuse either as abused or abuser.
- Completes documentation in patient records in a complete and timely manner.
- Effectively demonstrates knowledge of dual-diagnosis dynamics and treatment strategies.
- Demonstrates effective dual-diagnosis related psychoeducational teaching skills.
- Effectively demonstrates thorough knowledge of treatment planning and involvement of the patient in planning his/her care.
- Acts effectively as a clinical resource for staff regarding substance abuse signs and symptoms.
- Continuously develops and maintains effective working relationships with all members of the treatment team.
- Continuously exercises good judgment and discretion in deviating from policy in circumstances where strict adherence would pose a risk to patient, visitor, staff or facility.
- Demonstrates effective problem identification/solving skills.
- Makes timely and accurate decisions regarding all relevant aspects of the position.
- Provides effective input regarding the evaluation of program effectiveness and actively participates in implementation of changes.
- Continuously demonstrates self-directed learning and participation in continuing education to meet own professional development needs.
- Continuously participates in planning, organization and implementation of Dual-Diagnosis Services and continuous quality improvement programs with the Clinical Program Manager.
- Effectively performs additional duties and responsibilities as position requires.
- Exhibits behavior that is courteous, compassionate, polite, friendly, and respectful towards patients, visitors, physicians, and co-workers and extends self to make patients, visitors, clinical staff, and peers feel welcome and respected.