Position Summary: Person in this position will be responsible for the day-to-day assessment and treatment program functions, clinical staff supervision, and flow of program activities.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide oversight and monitor program record keeping (i.e. participant files, staff training files, rosters, etc.);
- Track all participants (i.e. names of all participants in the program, counselors assigned to participants, stage of program participation, etc.);
- Provide input on employee evaluations;
- Provide training to counseling and facilitating staff;
- Monitor and schedule participants to individual and group activities;
- Debrief counselors on treatment process;
- Monitor treatment plan development;
- Supervise seminar scheduling;
- Implement and monitor program educational activities;
- Direct the Journey Level Counselors in the implementation of the plan for provision of services;
- Participate in inmate classification hearings, as needed;
- Supervise the administration of the introduction and assessment processes of all participants arriving at the Program;
- Supervise, the Journey Level Counselor’s and the Facilitator‘s activities;
- Be responsible for the secure storage of participant records and participant treatment files;
- Work collaboratively with the CDCR and institution staff;
- The Supervising Counselor will work with WestCare’s Quality Assurance (QA) Team, made up of a Contract Compliance Director and Contract Compliance Specialist, to review the records system semi-annually, selecting a representative sample of files and other records at random and review them for accuracy and completeness. The QA Team submits written reports to the Vice President; rating compliance, noting deficiencies, and proposing recommendations for changes or improvements. Participant files are made available to OS upon request for its quality management reviews. In all cases, participant confidentiality is protected in accordance with the requirements of CFR 42, Part II and HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) regulations.
- Embrace and embody the mission, vision, guiding principles, clinical vision and goals of WestCare Foundation; and
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
- At the time of hire, must be certified as an AOD Counselor with a certification recognized by DHCS;
- Have working knowledge of cognitive behavioral therapy programs; and
- Have a minimum of 1 year of documented verifiable supervisory experience that includes supervision of Entry Level and Journey Level Counselors.
- Experience in training and evaluating employees including evaluating counselors’ abilities to facilitate and manage classroom environments and present information;
- Must have the ability to provide genuine warmth, empathy, and honest sensitivity to facilitate positive change in clients.
- Must be culturally/linguistically sensitive to populations served;
- Experience developing schedules for groups and staffing schedules;
- Must possess excellent documentation and communication skills;
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain CDCR clearance;
- A valid California driver’s license and ability to obtain and maintain WestCare vehicle insurance; and
- CPR Certification, First Aid Certification and an Annual Tuberculosis test.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Behavioral Sciences or related field and one (1) year experience providing SUDT services to the offender population at a responsibility no less than a journey level counselor; or
- Associates Degree and three (3) years’ experience of full-time experience providing SUDT services to the offender population at a responsibility no less than a journey level counselor;
- Work is primarily performed in an in-prison treatment setting.
- The normal work routine involves no exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissues, BUT exposure or potential exposure may be required as a condition of employment. Appropriate personal protective equipment will be readily available to every employee engaged in Category II tasks;
- Occasional lifting of more than 10 pounds;
- Transportation of clients in company vehicle;
- Occasional risk of intensive physical activity with clients; and
- Sitting, standing, walking, reaching are performed in the normal course of the position.