The Substance Abuse Counselor - Hospital Team provides screenings and brief individual and group modalities of drug and alcohol counseling. The Substance Abuse Counselor provides clients at San Diego County Psychiatric Hospital (SDCPH) with orientation, training, substance abuse recovery skills and information, and leadership necessary to provide them with the ability to recover from substance abuse addiction. The Substance Abuse Counselor provides services, support, and linkages to clients' family members and support persons.
- Works directly with the participant to provide orientation to the program and the concept of recovery.
- Develops and implements crisis and recovery plans with participant.
- Provides brief individual and recovery services, information,education, and relapse prevention.
- Provides substance abuse group counseling at San Diego County Psychiatric Hospital.
- Provides a variety of interventions including brief individual counseling, crisis intervention, collateral services, and other relevant recovery-related services to clients.
- Establishes trusting relationships and collaborates with clients, family members and/or significant others to facilitate clients’ recovery.
- Provides substance abuse education to clients and their significant others.
- Participates in treatment teams in conjunction with clinical staff at SDCPH to help develop treatment plans for clients.
- Attends daily Hospital Team huddles and provides input to the clients’ treatment plan.
- Prepares and implements discharge plans.
- Integrates recovery concepts with sound theoretical and practical applications of brief rehabilitative and individual, group, and milieu counseling principles.
- Must either: Possess a State approved AOD-certification through CADTP or CCAPP upon hire; or be in the process of becoming certified and complete a recognized alcohol and drug certification through CAADE or CCAPP within three (6) months of hire date.
- AA degree preferred.
- Lived experience preferred.
- Candidates must pass County of San Diego's extensive background screening process.
Please contact Juli Smith @ 619-542-4196 if interested.